My Computer

Updated: 06/06/2021 by Computer Hope

Windows My Computer, Computer, and This PC

My Computer is a Microsoft Windows feature showtime plant in Windows 95 and included with all later versions that allows y'all to explore and manage the contents of your computer drives. The image shows examples of the My Estimator icon in Microsoft Windows XP, Vista and Windows 7, and the "This PC" icon in Windows eight and in Windows x. Although the name has changed, "This PC" still has the same functionality as "My Estimator."

How to open My Estimator

In all Windows versions, you can utilize the keyboard to open My Computer without using the mouse. Pressing the shortcut keys Windows fundamental+East opens My Calculator (Explorer). Your computer'south drives and any installed devices are listed under the "This PC" section on the left.

or

  1. Get to the Windows desktop and open Start carte, or navigate to the Start Screen if you are using Windows viii.
  2. In earlier versions of Windows, subsequently clicking Outset, select My Computer. Or, on the desktop, double-click the My Computer icon. In Windows Vista and Windows 7, select Computer from the Outset bill of fare. In Windows 8 and Windows 10, select This PC from the Window's File Explorer.
  • Missing My Computer, My Network Places, or My Documents icon.

The post-obit images show examples of the My Computer option in both new and old versions of Windows.

My Computer

Windows XP

Notation

In Windows Vista and Windows vii, My Computer is called "Computer" and is accessed through the Commencement menu, every bit shown below.

My Computer through the Windows Start menu

Windows 7

Note

In Windows 8, Windows 8.1, and Windows x, My Computer is chosen "This PC" and is accessed through the Start menu.

File Explorer

How to employ My Computer

Once My Computer (This PC) is open, you will see all available drives on your calculator. The primary location of all your files is the Local Deejay (C:), which is the default hard drive that stores all files. Double-click this drive icon to open it and view its contents.

Finding files in My Computer

Near files yous create or will want to find are located in your My Documents binder. If you are having trouble finding where a file is stored, you lot tin also use the Windows find feature.

  • How to observe a file on a calculator.

Finding My Computer on a Mac

On a macOS system, there is a similar section to My Computer called the Computer Folder. To admission the Reckoner Binder, press Shift+Command+C.

Adjust system settings with My Computer

To manage or view your computer settings, right-click the My Computer icon and then click Properties. Performing these steps opens your Arrangement Properties (the same window accessible through the Control Panel).

Reckoner, Bulldoze, Explorer, Folder, My, My Documents, Operating organisation terms, PC